Holy Wednesday - Tenebrae Service - 7:00pm, April 16, 2014
What is Tenebrae?
Tenebrae is the Latin word for "darkness" or "shadows." In this service we experience only a small portion of Christ's pain and suffering on the day of his crucifixion.
One of the most conspicuous features of the service is the gradual extinguishing of candles until only a single candle, considered a symbol of our Lord, remains. As it gets darker and darker we can reflect on the great emotional and physical pain that was very real for Jesus that evening. Toward the end of the service, the Christ candle is hidden, typifying the apparent victory of the forces of evil over good. At the very end, a loud noise is made, symbolizing the earthquake at the time of his death (Matthew 27) and his resurrection (Matthew 28:2). The hidden candle is then restored to its place, symbolizing the triumph of good over evil. By this single light we all depart this service in silence.
Holy Week Services:
- Palm Sunday Service - 10:30am, March 29, 2015
- Holy Monday - Prayer Bead Service - 7:00pm, March 30, 2015
- Holy Tuesday - Taize Service - 7:00pm, March 31, 2015
- Holy Wednesday - Tenebrae Service - 7:00pm, April 1, 2015
- Maundy Thursday Agape Meal - 5:30pm, April 2, 2015
- Maundy Thursday Service - 7:00pm, April 2, 2015
- Good Friday Stations of the Cross - 10:00am, April 3, 2015
- Good Friday Service - 3:00pm, April 3, 2015
- Holy Saturday Vigil Service - 9:00pm, April 4, 2015
- Easter Day - 10:30am, April 5, 2015